03/05/2023 0 Comments
Forklift Safety Do's and Don'ts
Forklifts are an indispensable tool in many industries, enabling the efficient handling and movement of goods. However, improper use can lead to severe accidents and injuries. It’s essential to follow certain do’s and don’ts to maintain forklift safety.
- Get Proper Training – Before operating a forklift, obtain the required certification. Training courses teach proper handling, operation, and maintenance.
- Perform Regular Checks – Before using a forklift, perform daily inspections to ensure all parts are functioning correctly. Look for and report any signs of wear, leakage, or damage.
- Wear Safety Equipment – Use safety gear like helmets, gloves, and high-visibility clothing to minimize the risk of injuries.
- Follow Load Guidelines – Stick to the manufacturer’s instructions regarding load capacity. Distribute loads evenly and secure them properly to prevent tipping.
- Observe Speed Limits – Always drive within the designated speed limits. Slow down in wet or slippery areas to maintain control.
- Use Proper Signage – Utilize signs and barriers to indicate where forklifts are operating, particularly in areas shared with pedestrians.
- Don’t Operate Without Certification – Operating a forklift without proper certification can lead to mishandling and accidents.
- Don’t Overload – Exceeding the forklift’s load capacity can cause it to tip over, leading to serious injury and damage.
- Don’t Ignore Warning Signs – If the forklift shows signs of malfunction, do not ignore them. Report any issues to the supervisor or maintenance team.
- Don’t Engage in Reckless Driving – Avoid sudden stops, sharp turns, or driving on uneven surfaces, as these can lead to loss of control and accidents.
- Don’t Allow Unauthorized Riders – Never allow passengers on the forklift unless there’s a designated seat for them. Unauthorized riders can easily fall off.
- Don’t Leave the Forklift Unattended – If you need to leave the forklift, lower the forks, set the brakes, and turn off the engine.
Forklift safety relies on the proper operation, understanding of the machinery, and respect for guidelines and best practices. Adhering to these dos’ and don’ts not only ensures the safety of the operator, but also that of fellow workers and the work environment itself.
Who to Call
For any questions or concerns about forklift safety, turn to the experts at Ring Power Lift Trucks. We are the premier forklift dealer in Florida with a broad range of forklifts as well as other materials handling equipment. In addition to sales and service, we also provide OSHA approved training for your forklift operators. We represent all of the leading forklift manufacturers and can work with you to select a new or used forklift for your operation. We offer short term and long term forklift rentals, parts, and service. We serve Jacksonville, Sarasota, and many other locations in Florida, and would welcome the opportunity to work with you.
If you would like any more information about the products or services we offer, visit our website or reach out to us at 877-544-5438.