10/05/2023 0 Comments
Selecting the Right Forklift Tires: Pneumatic vs. Cushion
If you’re in the market for a forklift, you have a lot of decisions to make. One of those is deciding what kind of tires to order for your new forklift. The choice between pneumatic tires and cushion tires is often a consideration when it comes to forklifts. Understanding the differences between these two types and where they are best utilized is essential.
Pneumatic tires are filled with air or foam and are commonly used in pneumatic tire forklifts. These tires offer several advantages, but they also have certain disadvantages:
- Durability – Pneumatic tires are known for their robustness and can handle rough terrains. They are puncture-resistant, particularly if solid or foam filled.
- Outdoor Use – They’re ideal for outdoor applications and uneven surfaces like gravel, mud, or rocks.
- Improved Comfort – They provide a smoother ride as the air-filled tires can absorb shocks.
- Maintenance – Require regular pressure checks and are susceptible to punctures if not the solid type.
- Cost – Generally more expensive than cushion tires.
Cushion tires, on the other hand, are solid rubber tires and are used in cushion tire forklifts. They have their own set of pros and cons:
- Lower Costs – Typically cheaper than pneumatic tires, both in initial purchase and maintenance.
- Indoor Usage – Excellent for indoor or smooth surface application. They offer a tighter turning radius, making them suitable for smaller, confined spaces
- Limited to Smooth Surfaces – Not ideal for uneven or outdoor surfaces, as they provide a less comfortable ride.
- Wear – May wear down quicker than pneumatic tires, depending on usage and surface type.
The choice between pneumatic tires and cushion forklift tires depends on your specific needs and the working environment. For rough outdoor surfaces, pneumatic tire forklifts are often the best option. Conversely, for indoor or smooth surface applications, cushion tire forklifts may be more appropriate. Consider factors such as comfort, maintenance, durability, and cost when selecting the right forklift tires for your operations.
Who to Call
For any questions or concerns about forklift tires, turn to the experts at Ring Power Lift Trucks. We are the premier forklift dealer in Florida with a broad range of forklifts as well as other materials handling equipment. In addition to sales and service, we also provide OSHA approved training for your forklift operators. We represent all of the leading forklift manufacturers and can work with you to select a new or used forklift for your operation. We offer short term and long term forklift rentals, parts, and service. We serve Jacksonville, Sarasota, and many other locations in Florida, and would welcome the opportunity to work with you.
If you would like any more information about the products or services we offer, visit our website or reach out to us at 877-544-5438.